Did you know that the driest desert on this earth has not received any precipitation for as long as 2 million years?
You’d think it must be hot, and dry, and oppressive.
And, well dry – yes. Oppressive – maybe. Hot – not even. The driest deserts on earth are found in Antarctica. Ice and Snow cover about 98% of the continent, leaving 1-2% permanently ice free. These ice free spots are dry valleys, or Antarctic Oasis. Not necessarily the picture I’d think of when imagining a desert... but there you go.
If you don’t like reptiles, Antarctica is the place for you.
But there’s a lot of strangeness there. Though it’s a part of our planet, it seems like a completely different world.
But, think about it. We may be completely comfortable and familiar with where we are – but the places we are used to, have plenty of unique and strange qualities. Slow down and look around a bit, you’ll notice all kinds of stuff.